Car accidents happen for many reasons, many caused by factors that can be avoided. If you or someone you know was in a car accident in the greater Detroit metro vicinity that was caused by what may be characterized as a matter of negligence, those involved may be able to resolve the issue through litigation by choosing to be represented by a seasoned car accident attorney in Detroit, Michigan.
Distracted Driving is Among the Most Common Causes of a Detroit Car Accident
According to the PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences ), most car accidents (90%) result from some form of distracted driving – either reduced driver performance or driver awareness. There are three fundamental distracted driving categories.
- Cognitive Distraction – when a driver focuses on something rather than the road ahead.
- Manual Distraction – refers to the moment a driver takes one/both hands off the wheel.
- Visual Distraction – refers to the decision of a driver to take their eyes off the road.
A driver using a handheld cell phone (or other electronic device) will likely be guilty of all types of distracted driving, significantly increasing the chances of causing or being in an accident.
2023 Michigan Legal Update
As of June 30, 2023, a new Michigan law takes effect, making holding/manually using any mobile electronic device (which includes the use of a cell phone) while operating a car a primary offense – which means an officer can stop/ticket drivers for this infraction alone. Note a Bluetooth or integrated system can be used if it only requires a solitary touch.
Who is Most Likely to Drive Distracted?
The CDC reveals that older teens (including younger adults) are the most likely to be tempted to use a cell phone or be distracted while driving.
Other Auto Accident Causes that May Require Representation by a Detroit Car Accident Attorney
Factors that cause Detroit vehicle accidents –
- Reckless Driving – is when a driver willfully risks the safety of others by ignoring the rules of the road.
- Speeding – refers to a type of reckless driving.
- DUI/DWI – The NHTSA reports that a car crash resulting from a drunk driver took more than 13,300 lives in 2021. a 14% increase from the year before.
- Poor Road Maintenance – Road-related factors also cause car accidents in Detroit. Poor road maintenance may contribute as follows-Weather.
- Poor design.
- Road Defects.
- Blocked road signs
- Malfunction traffic lights, etc.
Have You Suffered From Injuries Caused By a Car Accident In Detroit?
The legal consequences of a vehicle accident vary, which is why it is wise to talk to a car accident attorney in Detroit to ensure you have an opportunity to recover the damages to which you are entitled. A Detroit-based legal professional, with their training and experience, is especially helpful should alcohol/criminal actions play a role in the accident or if someone was injured as a result of the accident.